Tuesday, 1 June 2010

If a picture paints 1000 words...

...Then I'm glad I don't have photo evidence of my food consumption over the weekend! I spent the weekend back home visiting friends and family so I can give you a quick rundown of my diary, but have no pictures. Probably a good thing, as there's, um, far too much cake in here...

Friday: 1863 cals , exercise: 20 min walk
B: porridge with pear and almond, flax and honey
L: Nut roast with roasted veg and slinach
S: egg puff (1 egg, 1 white only) on wholemeal roll
D: M&S wheatberry and couscous salad, M&S 3 bean salad
S: 2 bottles of Coors Light

Saturday: 2608 cals :o , exercise: none :o
B: Porridge with plums, cinnamon, honey
S: Half a 9 bar
L: Houmous and roast veg flatbread and quarter portion of chips (Wetherspoons)
S: Triple Chocolate Muffin :o
D: Half portion vegetable dhansak, half portion saag aloo (takeaway, shared)
S: 3/4s Lemon Curd Muffin :o

Sunday: 2267 cals :o , exercise: 40 min walk
B: Porridge with dates, almonds, dark chocolate
L: Cream of Veg soup, brown bread (homemade, cafe)
S: White chocolate Muffin :o
D: Chinese curry stirfry with quorn, edamame, veggies
S: Cadbury caramel nibbles :o

So clearly, I ate too much junk! If it wasn't for the muffins (yes, pretty much three in 24 hours) and the caramel nibbles, that was actually a pretty healthy diary with fairly okay choices even when eating out in scarily unhealthy places.
Ooooops.

Ah well, another day another diary, right?

Yesterday, bank holiday monday, we'd finally run out of muffins so I behaved myself a little better. Though still far from angelic, this is a day that I don't mind sharing with you, even though it's all still pretty junky!

Breakfast was at Wetherspoons, and while everyone else tucked into enormous plated fried breakfasts, I felt positively angelic with my order of porridge with blueberry compote and a decaf coffee. Shame it didn't taste as nice as I felt, it was more liek gruel than my beloved podge! Such a shame. If I get this again, I'll have to bring some fruit/nuts/something with me to bulk it out and stop it being so watery. I had intended to order fruit and yoghurt to go with it, but they didn't have any in so had to do without.

To be perfectly honest, I was still hungry. If it wasn't for the coffee providing some bulk, I'd easily have ordered something else off the menu to fill me up a bit more, but I'm glad I resisted. After all, it was going to be a long day and I knew I'd need the cals later.

After a bit of shopping and the purchasing of a couple of cardigans for summer nights (one black, waterfall style, one oatmeal/beige, with pockets) we all stopped for a coffee. I say we, there was about 8 of us in total, so orchestrating anything is hard work! I settled on a peppermint tea, and as I was hungry still, a granola bar. I figured it was a better choice than a muffin!

This fuelled the second leg of 'shopping/mooching day' quite successfully, and enabled me to throw caution to the wind and buy a dress I fully expect I'll never wear. I'll post a pic later hopefully, but the front is too low, the skirt is too short, I'm just never going to have the occassion or confidence to pull this one off! Maybe with a vest and leggings under it... Oh, and it's orange and black. Me, orange?!?! Honestly it's nicer than I've made it sound, you gotta believe me :p

Lunch was also on the hop, and a case of buying the supermarket out of snadwiches and taking them back to a friends house who lives in the centre of the town. I struggle with prepacked sandwiches, as inevitably the only veggie options are cheese based, or egg mayo, both of which I can't stomach even the smell of. (every now and then I get lucky and find a houmous sarnie but they're few and far between)

So, I was glad to see the supermarket we chose had a decent healthy selection on offer too! I opted for a pot of locally produced taboulleh, a huge salad bowl of leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot and sweetcorn, and a Rachel's organic vanilla yoghurt granola pot and a bag of apples and grapes for dessert, while everyone else picked up their ham sandwiches and bags of crisps. I was glad to see though that me buying fruit soon resulted in all the others following suit, yay for being a good influence!

 The taboulleh was thrown into the salad bowl and resulted in an enormous lunch that I couldn't manage all of. As nice as it was, due to the sheer size it got pretty boring after a while, which was a shame.

I livened my appetite (and mind) back up again by arranging my fruit into a yoghurt monster, who was then devoured a bit at a time... Apple makes for a good dunker in yoghurt, it appears!

At this point, food ceased to exist and conversation/saying our goodbyes took over for the next few hours... Eventually we packed up and left far later than we'd intended, so the drive back was a very very hungry one for me.

Arriving home, we also realised we hadn't been food shopping and there was very little in for us to have for dinner, so we opted to walk the ten minutes to the kebab shop and get takeaway. Knowing they do a vegetable kebab, I felt this was a fairly safe healthy option for me, I've had it before. Except in the past, we've always had it delivered. Having walked down, I know now how they cook it.

HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN... It would appear that yes, they do grill the veggies, but onyl after cooking them in the deep fat fryer that they do the chips/chicken/everything else in!!! So not only are they soaked through with oil, there's also going to be animal fat in there. Nice.

Suffice to say, I ate it this time but next time we go there (which isn't that often, I hasten to add) I'll be having the veggie pizza, no cheese, for definite. And there's certainly no cross contamination with meat products on that, I've sene them do it before. Seriously, I can't believe a pizza is a healthier option than vegetables!

I had a box of side salad with mine and a miniscule amount of chilli sauce, and turned it into this beast of a salad along with the pitta they gave me. The lot weighed over 1kg in total and this is a full size dinner plate that was round it was so full!

So, thats one day of nothing cooked by myself, and overall, I think I did 'okay'. It might not be nutritionally great (fat was too high thanks to the fryer incident, and protein way too low overall) but given that it's so easy to overeat when we're eating out all the time, I think this goes to show that with some careful decision making, it can be possible to eat fairly well and still get in your fruit and veg. The whole day, even with added oil, only came to 1814 cals!

3 comments:

  1. Oh gross, how annoying!! Apparently the same is true for wetherspoons - everything gets thrown into a big fryer, so watch out for the chippies in there next time.

    I was just about to comment on how nice the veg kebab looks too. Grrr.

    My "save the day" strategy for home cooked fast food after being on hols, is to try and always have a stash of wraps / packet of pitta in the freezer, and all you need is a bag of frozen veg in there too (like the med veg one you had), plus a tub of pesto / tomato puree and voila - pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG thats rank! i cant believe they throw it all in the same oil as the meat! how wrong is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately it's pretty common everywhere. It's a good reason to avoid fried food, I'll put it that way! i'm not 'overly' bothered about the animal fat corss contamination thing, what I don't know can't hurt me, but if I'm aware that it's going on, that does make a difference to my food choices.
    (LME I'm sure there'll be a drunken moment where I order another one anyway, it always is tasty!)

    ReplyDelete