I somehow lost all desire/will/motivation to blog over this last week or so, as I've been battling with the mother of all gains. What kind of normal human being gains 5.5lb in one week without overeating, overtraining, TOTM, or any other common cause? Well, that'd be me.
Yep, I sprung from 10st 3.75lbs to 10st 9.25lbs in 7 days, with absolutely no justifiable reason for it to have done so. And I'll admit it, it led to me having a rather major freakout. It's thrown me right out of my target zone, messed with my measurements, scuppered my self esteem, thrown OBK right out the window (sorry JAG!) and left me wondering what the hell I've done to deserve it when I try so hard to keep myself in good shape!
The net result though is that I've been painstakingly filling in my food diary for the last 6 days and logging every morsel to see if I'm missing something. I'm not. I've been hitting the weights and the pavements to make sure I wasn't skimping on my training. I wasn't. But don't really know what else I can try, in all honesty.
The last 6 days (including today) I've eaten 10219 cals (avg 1703 per day), earnt 1519 cals (avg 253 per day), and would have needed 11574 cals (1929 per day) to maintain my weight. And my macros have been 47.7% carbs, 25.6% protein, 26.5% fat, and 0.2% alcohol (I had one cider on saturday night as a treat, I never usually drink).
So if tomorrow follows the same plan (which it will) I should net myself a 1lb loss. If I stay the same, or go up any more, I'm actually 'this' close to losing the will to live.
I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and this mystery gain means my outfit no longer fits. Graargh!
Hi Kat,
ReplyDeleteThat must be so frustrating :( I don't think you can or need to try anything else - the human body is an odd thing - we've learnt this, if nothing else, over the past year or so. Just stick with it - maths says that the weight will come off if you're creating a deficit.
I'm a bit of a nerd, so I keep a small spreadsheet with columns for planned deficit (3500, 1750 etc), +/- weekly balance (whether I was over or under added to the planned deficit, what I should lose (based on my total deficit) and what I did lose. Its very rare that the last two columns match, but by having a running total at the bottom, I can see that over a period of time (months, rather than weeks), the 'should lose' and 'did lose' columns match. Perhaps worth a try to monitor whether these gains balance out?
:) x