Wednesday, 30 December 2009

So, the obligatory background info... Where I've come from, where I am now, where I'm going to...

No point in me posting at all if people don't know anything about my history. Most of this can be found on the old blog but for simplictiy's sake I'll outline it again here.

It's 28th January 2008. I'm at my friends house for their littel girls 2nd birthday. I'm in a terrible mood as I'd weighed myself that morning and found out I was 14 stone 9.5 pounds... A BMI of 32.2 and medically obese. This was the turning point for me, I'd been denying my weight gain for years and finally I couldn't anymore, I'd spent the christmas period in tears as nothing fit me, I'd been buying size 18's for people's weddings, felt fat and frumpy at my partners 30th birthday, I was a mess.
And to top it all off, Mr Katkins had just been diagnosed as type 1 diabetic, something noone could ahve been prepared for as this usually develops in children, not 30 year old men!
So I'm sat there, eating my way through birthday cake which he couldn't have (so yes I had his piece too) and vowing that the next day would be the start of the final time I attempted to lose weight.


Christmas 2007 above, Mr Katkins 30th birthday (also dec 07) below


I stuck to that promise. The first month or so was hard as I didn't really know what I was doing, I was just going hell for leather on a crosstrainer and not eating. Unsurprisingly, that didn't work. But after some research I started calorie counting with WLR, got some progress underway, and my first diet anniversary saw me at 11 stone 4, 3 stone 5.5 pounds lighter than the previous Januray 28th.

At this point I also joined a gym and took up running. I did the 5k race for life in May 2009 in 35 minutes, reached my goal weight of 10 stone or below on 28th July 2009 (exactly 18 months from the start!), and ran 10k for Cancer Research in September in 67 minutes.


The after photo, nearly 5 stone gone for good!

At this point I stopped blogging. To some extent, I think at this point I also stopped caring. I got married on 11th October, adore the photos (will post another day!) and am happy with my figure in them, but have, as newlyweds often do, let things go to pot ever since. The total effect of that being I now can't run for toffee, and I'm 6 pounds above my lowest weight. Ooooops.

So now, I'm coming up to the second anniversary of the diet. And the six month mark of getting to goal. I want to be back at goal that day, so I can say to myself that this has been a successful journey and worth all the blood sweat and tears that have been shed along the way. to be proud of myself and know that my husband is as proud of me for my battle with my weight as I am of him and his ever-vigilent approach to his long term health as a diabetic.

My goals therefore for 2010 are:
*Get back under 10 stone and stay there. Preferably before we go on honeymoon at the beginning of Feb!
*Get back out the door and run my little socks off. 3 runs a week will be compulsary, and doing a half marathon by the end of the year would be the ising on the exercise cake.
*Get back to the gym for 2 weight sessions a week, no arguing.
*Pay attention to my food. I'll always struggle with protein/carb intake as a veggie who struggles with dairy too (cannot eat cheese at all) but I can try harder than I am now!
*Have a body to be proud of by the end of the year, monthly progress pics and measurements along the way to record it.

2 comments:

  1. Well doen on doing so well Kat. The photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire :) I couldn't have done it without you lot to moan at!

    ReplyDelete